Friday 20 February 2015

Steampunk Homework - Visual Arts & Animation 14/15

In this homework task we had to design something to do with the steampunk genre. This could be a character, gun or a machine. I decided to go with a gun. One of my favourite games ever is the Nazi Zombies from Call of Duty: World at War, Mostly due to the Ray Gun. Now I know that the Ray Gun is nothing to do with steampunk, but I wanted to create something similar but with that steampunk twist.
Nazi Zombies - Ray Gun
So with the ray gun for inspiration I made a mood board of similar looking guns and I also collected some reference of gears and clocks as I wanted parts of the gun to be controlled by a clock.

Steampunk - Moodboard
I did some quick silhouettes of three guns in Photoshop and decided to go with the third one.

Gun designs
Once I had my silhouette I started to model it in Maya. After I had the model I took the render into Photoshop and applied some nice colour and textures. Looking back though I do think I should have made some parts of the gun higher poly. and given it a few shadows. However I do like the gun and think I did the original ray gun a little bit of justice. 
Final Steampunk Gun

No comments:

Post a Comment