Monday 13 October 2014

Tentacle Homework - Visual Design 14/15

This week our Visual Design homework was to create something with at least 4 tentacles. I researched into tentacles and found that tentacles are a slender and flexible limb, found especially around the mouth and they act as a sense organ.
I put together a quick mood board to try and get some ideas on what I wanted to sketch. My favourite genre of film is comedy and you only normally see tentacle monsters in thriller films. So I added fruit and plants to the board.
Mood Board
After getting a few ideas from the mood board I started to sketch out a few simple tentacles to get the idea of how they are drawn, I liked the idea of my final piece having a sort of tentacle moustache (similar to the cuttlefish) and I loved the idea of the actual monster being a banana peel. 
A few sketches and notes
Once I had my sketches I mixed a few of the ideas into one to create the following drawing. I decided to go with the banana peel as the four tentacles, but I also added the tentacle moustache.

Pencil sketch in Photoshop
 After I had finished my sketch I started to work on the line art. This is the first time I have done my own line art so it's not the best, but I think it turned out ok and It can only get better!

Line art over the sketch
I then made a simple palette up of 3 pastel colours so that its easy on the eye and blocked in their general areas.
Basic colours
 Following the block colours I added shadows to make it look less flat. I used a 60% grey on a multiply layer as used in our lesson.
Shadows!
 I'm still happy with how it is turning out so I continued to carry on and blend a few of the colours together and to also make the shadows less harsh. The picture below is my final piece and I think it looks great!
Bananapus!
That's it! Say hello to my monster, or otherwise known as 'Bananapus' 



No comments:

Post a Comment