Thursday 20 November 2014

Insectoid Homework - Visual Design 14/15


 In this task we had two weeks to design our own insectoid. My general idea was to aim for a praying mantis, but with wings and blades for hands.
So I got to work on my mood board and researched insectoids as I'd never really hear of them before.
Mood board

I then sketched out the few parts that I wanted my insectoid to have. I was going to have him holding a blunt axe but I ended up going for blade hands as I thought this was cooler.
Sketches
I jumped straight in and got to work with the blueprints of my guy, I am generally happy with how he turned out and I think i got the proportions right for each side. I used Photoshop's rulers to help me see this.

Blueprints - 'Front' & 'Side'
After finishing my blueprints I started on my three quarter view, to be honest I really struggled with this piece and I know this is an area that I will need to improve on in the near future. I liked the design of my insect but there is definitely room for improvement.
Final Insectoid
My insectoid is a Praying Mantis... called 'Prantis', but in a former life he was a human. The only thing that has been carried over from that life was his brain and his leg muscles. Prantis spends his days guarding the Temple of Pretentious Mantis'. He is far superior to his Mantis friends because they are still merely sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment