Wednesday 26 November 2014

Tank Homework - Visual Design 14/15

This weeks homework task was design an armored vehicle, I'm quite a big fan of tanks so I thoroughly enjoyed this task.
I set about making a mood board bearing in mind that my final piece had to be in two point perspective and I also had to use the lighting technique that we learnt in our previous session. I put together the following images.
Mood board
Here are my sketches for my tanks, I started off with a few simple ones and tried to re-do them with a bit more detail. I usually do this step in my sketchbook, but I decided that I needed to practice doing rough sketches on the computer with my tablet. I liked the idea of the bottom right tank because It is much like a World War 1 tank and this is something I took great interest in at school.
Sketches 
After picking the tank I wanted to follow up on I quickly set out some perspective lines and set them to an opacity of 10% so that I could see what I was doing, whilst also keeping the perspective. I was happy with my design and was looking forward to adding the shading/lighting to it as I knew this was going to be a good challenge to me because I went for a more rounded tank with wheels rather than a more blocky shape.
Lineart & Perspective lines
I added one whole back layer of a 50% grey and then worked in the darker and lighter areas of the tank. Overall I am really happy with my end result and I think the line art looks great with the different shades of lighting. I left the perspective lines on as required and also added a basic shadow.
Final Design
I was tempted to see what It would look like with a colour over the top so I grabbed a medium pink and changed the layer to colour burn. I feel this really shows off the different shades on the curve of the wheel and the turret. I've also never seen a pink tank... so there you go!
A bit of colour

No comments:

Post a Comment