Monday 18 April 2016

One Room #4 - Games Production 15/16

In this post I will go into depth about my modelling process and how I achieve the results that I want.
In this project my teammate Michael created lots of model sheets for pretty much every item that appears in the game, excluding tiny props or other smaller things that I created from references. Here is an example of one of the model sheets that I worked from.

Michael's model sheet
I placed the model sheets inside Maya using the image plane option and I work along the front side of the models whilst constantly checking the other view ports to check that the model is looking correct from all angles.
Our poly limit for this project was 300,000 so I had quite a lot of polys to work with due to our project only being one room and most of my assets can be duplicated around the room, so that also saves on poly count. I did not use zBrush for any of my models because I think most of my models are low poly enough to run fine in our game whilst still looking good enough with a texture on them.
Here are some pictures of the earlier assets I made for the game.

Chair
Early TV (later scrapped)
I then tried adding some textures using Quixel. For this workflow I had to bake out Colour ID maps so that I could apply the various textures to the objects. I baked my ID maps using the TURTLE plugin found within Maya and setting it to 'bake'. Here is an example of one of ID maps.

Clock & Radio Colour ID Map
As the caption states this was the Colour ID map that I baked out for my clock and radio objects. I decided to put them both on the same texture map as they both used similar textures to one another. So in the ID map the orange will be linked to a varnished wood, the grey is linked to a clear plastic and the blue is linked to a grainy black plastic. You can then tweak and personalise your results in quixel to get your desired look and feel and then you export them into the various texture maps to then import into Unity and whack on a material.
Here is a look at the first object I did in quixel, however I was not happy with the initial result so I went back into the program and tweaked it until I got my desired result.
Initial chair texture
Initial Chair texture
Finalised chair texture
I was really happy with my final result as I think it looks like a really authentic, old looking chair. With this workflow I went ahead and started working on making and texturing the rest of the assets.



No comments:

Post a Comment